Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I Wonder



Ok no one could be happier than me that Joss Whedon (I bow down before thee oh mighty one) has been given the monumental task of bringing Wonder Woman to the big screen but I have to say I am not happy, not happy at all, with the rumored list of actresses up for the plum role

We have
Lucy Lawless (who will only ever be Xena)
Sarah Michelle Gellar (who will only ever be Buffy)
Kim Basinger (who could at this point in her early 50’s could play WW’s mother)
Jessica Alba (yes she can pull of a stars and stripes bustier, but we need soul people!)
Katie Holmes (who is lost to us all)
Michelle Rodriguez (who is just Lost in more ways than one)
Mischa Barton (the new it girl is almost already yesterdays news)
Jennifer Connelly (are you serious?)
Charlize Theron (smart, beautiful, earnest, can act if pushed. Aeon Flux anyone?)
Lindsay Lohan (too young)
And the beautiful Aiswarya Rai (already a wonder woman but not Wonder Woman).

This is my shortlist.

1. An unknown
2. An unknown
3. An unknown
4. An unknown
5. An unknown.


When I was a kid Wonder Woman was one of my all time favorite comic books and TV shows. I was always torn between her and the Bionic Woman but if you were to throw the golden lasso of truth around me I’d have to say that Diana Prince and her super heroine alter ego were the tops. In a world of Daisy Dukes and Marcia Bradys it was so exciting to see what a real goddess could do, especially with an invisible plane – boy could that thing fly!

So of course the image of Lynda Carter is firmly planted in my heart. Faced with the same dilemma as Bryan Singer for Superman Returns does Josh Whedon really have a choice? With such an iconic role we can’t be thinking ‘oh there’s Buffy kicking butt again’ or ‘Why is Xena wearing that gold headband?’

So Josh. I think I still have my costume somewhere. I can honestly claim to be a complete unknown. I could easily dust it off and kick some evil doers butt.
Mind you I was four years old last time I wore it, I may need to get it altered somewhat. Maybe if I spin around really really fast…

Whaddya reckon? There’s a little Wonder Woman in all of us after all.

Now the theme song:

Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman.
All the world's waiting for you,
and the power you possess.

In your satin tights,
Fighting for your rights
And the old Red, White and Blue.

Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman.
Now the world is ready for you,
and the wonders you can do.

Make a hawk a dove,
Stop a war with love,
Make a liar tell the truth.

Wonder Woman,
Get us out from under, Wonder Woman.
All our hopes are pinned on you.
And the magic that you do.

Stop a bullet cold,
Make the Axis fall,
Change their minds, and change the world.

Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman.
You're a wonder, Wonder Woman.

1 Comments:

At 13/6/06, Blogger Beck said...

the definitiv sexy librarian taking off her glasses and shaking out her hair...
and you're right the theme song was an absolute corker, with a funky funky horn sound and a super fat soul sista sound on bv's...
right up there with barney miller.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home