Monday, May 29, 2006

workin hard to make a livin

There has been alotta talk about work lately among my circle of friends. Some of us don’t have any, some of us don’t want any, others are looking for escape routes as we speak. But there is one amongst us, my dear friend Sonie, who saw a job in the paper she really liked, put in an application, interviewed for it and got the job. Snaps for Sonie!

In honor of her first week I’d like to recommend some DVDS for her to watch, not just for inspiration but for a good laugh too – which I think all Social Workers need. In fact all workers need a laugh at the end of a long day on the job. So here it is.


5. Clockwatchers. With a tag line of Four Girls Four Dreams One Office how can you go wrong with this goofy 1997 comedy? Starring Parker Posey, Lisa Kudrow and Toni Collette as the temps who let things get a little out control. It plays for old fashioned laughs and some very funny site gags. It’s so beautifully cast and captures the rigid boredom and the weird friendships that can be had waiting for 5pm to come round.
Best Line: “The only real challenge with this job, is trying to look busy when there's nothing to do”


4. Nine to Five. Ok it’s an obvious choice but do you remember just how funny this film really is? The magic trio of Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin and Dolly Parton as the down trodden secretaries who exact revenge on their leering boss is a little dated but still sharply written and rollicks along at a fine pace. And look, the theme song is worth the price of admission.
Best Line: “Oh, God. They know about the rat poison. I might as well just turn myself in”


3. Working Girl. I don’t care what anyone says I loved it then and I love it now. The only time Harrison Ford ever really convinced me he was a romantic lead (han solo doesn’t count, because han solo is real right?) The only time Melanie Griffith looked sober on screen (even when playing drunk). It captured the corporate 80’s better than Wall Street and was a really nice love story. Watch out for David Duchovny as an extra at the engagement party (blink and you’ll miss him). Weird trivia- they tried doing a sitcom based on the film starring Sandra Bullock- there is no way her hair would have been big enough.
Best Line: “I have a head for business and a bod for sin. Is there anything wrong with that?”


2. Fight Club. You know Sonie is not going to like this film at all but any time I can mention it I will. Yes I am one of those very predictable GenXrs who think that writer Chuck Palahniuk is some kind of god. I saw the film maybe 10 times at the movies and pre ordered it on DVD. Weirdly enough I’m sort of over it now and only revisit the book. Not a film about work so much as an anti work film. Great for the chronically depressed for a bit of fire in the belly. Sonie can watch it in 6 months time but those of you strapped to your desks may need it sooner.
Best Line: “This is your life and it’s ending one minute at a time.”


1. Office Space (1999). My all time favorite work related movie. This is the only thing I can really watch Jennifer Aniston in without feeling queasy (ok she’s not that bad). From the creator of my beloved Beavis and Butthead (cue snigger) Mike Judge and starring the lovely lovely Ron Livingston. No film better describes the hell of cubicle life.
One of many best lines: “No, not again. I... why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam? I swear to God, one of these days, I'll just kick this piece of shit out the window”.

5 Comments:

At 29/5/06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Far as I'm concerned, the best work-related film (and probably in my top 4-5 all time films) HAS to be Glengarry Glen Ross, a must see for managers and fodder alike. I'm looking forward to the day when i finally snap, and apply it's lessons to my workplace.....
"Where did you learn your TRADE, you......"

Michael

 
At 29/5/06, Blogger Ramona said...

ah yes, classic mamet and I know one of your all time faves. Another film I forgot which my pal Jeremy reminded me of was Clerks. which I liked at the time but never considered it since. Of course it's only once you make these lists that other films occur to you.

 
At 29/5/06, Blogger Glenn Peters said...

So relieved when I scrolled down to see Office Space number one. My fave line is roundabouts, "I'm just going to not go."

Glengarry (luckily NOT starring Rebecca Pidgeon) is also one of my favorite films ever.

40yo Virgin has some piss funny work jokes.

 
At 30/5/06, Blogger Ramona said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 30/5/06, Blogger Ramona said...

Yes Office Space had to be Numero Uno. And Glengarry Glenn Ross is as close to perfect as Mamet ever got.
40 Year Old Virgin? well...
I have to say that 40 Year Old Virgin is one of my favourite films of all time. Top Ten at least. Maybe even Top Five. I'm not kidding. Ive earmarked it for another entry but it was nice to think of the ebay store (I sell your stuff...on ebay!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home