Saturday, May 06, 2006

Boy George!




Birthday Greetings go out today to Mr George Clooney.

Our modern day Clark Gable is one of the only actors today who can make women swoon. Not just salivate but really feel giddy. No one looks better in a suit, no one is more self deprecating, charming and, god should I say it, ‘debonair’. Of course when I say women I guess I mean me. And yes he may be more fabulous than even I know but no matter.

I loved him as Doctor Ross in E.R and I love him still.

George is what you’d call ‘dependable’. He always gives you a good performance, a solid go at it. But he’s always George, no more no less. Of course on top of this he’s a terrific director and he’s going to ease into old age Redford style –with dignity. I don’t think you could get a more confident directorial debut than ‘Confessions of a Dangerous Mind’(2002). And I've already called Goodnight and Goodluck (2005) a masterful film on several occasions

Now if we can just get him to stop making sequels to Oceans 11 he’d be perfect.

Best Clooney Films

From Dusk Til Dawn (1996) – this piece of mayhem from Robert Rodriguez co-starred an over zealous Quentin Tarantino and an oversexed Salma Hayak. Bloody thirsty and crazy vampire flick that makes me cheer.

Out Of Sight (1998) Remember a time when we all though Jennifer Lopez could act? Well it was because of this film. George plays it super cool in this Soderbergh special. Playing the criminal with a heart of gold the clichés get ramped up to the point where they even reference the clichés – there is lovely scene between J.Lo and George in the boot of a car where they discuss Dunaway and Redford in Three Days of the Condor. Swell. It helps when it’s based on an Elmore Leonard novel.

Oh Brother Where Art Thou? (2000) a far more successful pairing of George with the Brothers Coen than the weaker Intolerable Cruelty (2003). This film has real poetry to it. He’s so fine as Ulysses in this folksy retelling of the epic story. They don’t take it too seriously. As wacky as all get out, it feels like old world Hollywood. I can imagine Gable so clearly in the same part.

Solaris (2002). Soderbergh again but very very different. This film I just never tire of and it has flitted around my top ten on and off for a couple of years. It’s a heartbreaker. George left his usual charm at the door and really worked on this film. It’s probably his finest acting performance. Do not see it if nursing a bruised and battered heart.

Three Kings (1999) you know of course this desert storm film is all about Mark Wahlberg (what a revelation!) but there is a scene at the end where George has to make a decision to do the smart thing or the right thing (not gonna tell, rent it for gods sake. No don’t rent it BUY it you cheap and lazy bugger). This is a theme that run through all of his films. The one thing you know about George: He’s the good guy.

Oceans 11 (2001). Ok I know. Why? Because it is just so incredibly hot. They all looked like they had so much fun on this movie. Just fun being them, being that good looking, that well paid. And if you’ve seen the original you’ll know that this is a really sharp film. A great great soundtrack. A tight script. The perfect crime, the crack team and really nice suits. A guilty pleasure. That’s not to say I endorse Oceans 12 or the upcoming Oceans 13. Stop it boys you’re ruining it for us!

Let’s try and forget:

The PeaceMaker
One Fine Day
Batman Returns

I haven’t mention Syriana, I know I should have but I still haven’t seen it. Bad I know.

Happy 44th Birthday George! Here's lookin' at you kid...

1 Comments:

At 30/5/06, Blogger Beck said...

pant... if only he were straight

 

Post a Comment

<< Home