Wednesday, June 07, 2006

What was that ruckus? I heard a ruckus.

> I was saddened to learn of the passing of father, husband, published poet and actor Paul Gleason (age 67) on May 27th to a rare form of lung cancer linked to asbestos. One of the all time great character actors he appeared in almost every tv show put to air inthe past ten years.

Seinfeld, Friends, Grace Under Fire, Malcolm in the Middle, Cold Case, Dawsons Creek, The Guardian, The Drew Carey Show, Melrose Place, Veronicas Closet, News Radio, Miami Vice, The Wonder Years, Dallas, The A Team, Cagney and Lacey and Hill Street Blues just to name a few.
He also popped up in movies like Trading Places, Arthur and Die Hard.

But really he's known for one role and one role only. That of Principal Richard Vernon in The Breakfast Club (1985). In his honour I give you one of the great scenes for this seminal 80's film


Richard Vernon: That's the last time, Bender. That the last time you ever make me look bad in front of those kids, you hear me? I make $31,000 a year and I have a home and I'm not throwing it all away on some punk like you. But someday when you're outta here and forgotten about this place and they forgotten about you, and you're wrapped up in your own pathetic life, I'm gonna be there. That's right. And I'm gonna kick the living shit out of you. I'm gonna knock your dick in the dirt.

Bender: You threating me?

Richard Vernon: What are you gonna do about it? You think anyone's gonna believe you? You think anyone gonna take your word over mine? I'm a man of respect around here. They love me. I'm a swell guy. You're a lying sack of monkey shit, and everyone knows about it. Oh, you're a tough guy. Hey c'mon. Get on your feet pal. Let's find out how tough you are. I wanna know how tough you are. Let's go. C'mon man, just take the first shot. I'm begging you, take the first shot. Just take one good swing... [Bender pauses, staring]

Richard Vernon: Yeah, that's what I thought. You're a gutless turd.


>

Rest in Peace Principal Vernon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home