Friday, June 02, 2006

*Warning Spoilers Below*


It all started with the film Flightplan. I knew instinctively that it was a bad movie and I just didn’t have the time or energy to fork out the cash to go see it. I’m down to one cinema experience a week so I have to be judicious and I’ve made some notoriously bad choices in the past couple of years (Saw, King Kong, The Constant Gardener, Mission Impossible etc).

Problem with Flightplan was that no one else was going to see it either. And I really really needed to know. Was the kid alive? Was Jodi Foster going completely mad? Was Rachel McAdams a blow up doll?

And the previews, the previews were driving me nuts! I’ve gone to see some real turkeys because the preview hasn’t revealed the twist ending and I have a low tolerance level for not knowing. Just ask movie buddy Michael who I forced to tell me scene by scene the horrors of Wolf Creek. But Flightplan was different. It was sending me into some weird frenzy and I almost, almost, went to the cinema just to scratch that itch (ewww).

Until I found www.themoviespoiler.com.

This has become one of my all time favorite websites. People send detailed and complete descriptions of absolutely every film in release – often with their own hilarious sidebars. It is literally like having a mate sit down and have coffee with you and say “Don’t see it, it’s crap, and here is the plot”.

It’s such a relief! I didn’t have to suffer through Basic Instinct 2, Final Destination 2 or Firewall. I could laugh at the antics of The House of Wax, The Hills have Eyes and Saw 2. I could confirm that Doom made no sense, Elizabethtown is Cameron Crowe’s most pathetic film and that M's description of Wolf Creek was very very accurate.

And that Jodi Foster was not crazy.

Weirdly enough after reading some of these spoilers I did end up seeing the films. I didn’t think Flightplan was great, but it wasn’t that bad. Hostel was nasty as hell, much nastier on screen than in the spoiler and The Squid and the Whale is Jeff Daniels best performance. Munich wasn’t half as flabby as expected and Paris Hilton cannot act but it is fun watching her screaming.

As for the DaVinci Code, I haven’t read the book, I won’t see the film but I’m really glad to know the plot. It gets my vote for comedy of the year.

moviespoiler

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home