Monday, July 31, 2006

Bon Voyage!



Well it’s that time of year again. I must pull out my parka, prepare the sandwiches and bring plenty of change for xxl coffees as I travel to all four corners of the globe in search of new adventures, romance, drama, thrills, spills laffs and popcorn. Yes it’s my holiday time. I’ve packed my bag and I’m off to

The Melbourne International Film Festival.

Many hours have been wasted perusing the guide. Circling, highlighting, ticking and crossing are all part of the process before handing over the cold hard cash for the round the world in 16 days ticket.

I’ve done the festival differently almost every year, trying to find the perfect balance of socializing and film going. I never quite get it right but I always look back fondly at past festival highlights.


Run Ramona Run

One of my loveliest friends (hoo roo Jackie!) always tries to make it to at least a couple of sessions with me. One year we were desperate to see a new German film called Run Lola Run. Only we ended up at the wrong cinema. We had to run 4 city blocks to get to the other venue on time. We arrived panting, weezing and damp and then had to watch the very beautiful and very fit Franke Potente run for two hours. The irony was not lost on us.

It’s not easy being green…

My friend G (hoo roo Mr K!) and I had a rather bonding experience when we did a four- films-in –one-day marathon. He had a terrible hangover and had to keep leaving the queue to vomit. It was gross and funny all at the same time. We’ve been friends ever since

Again with G and my other mate M – both of whom have a penchant for all things terrifying and Japanese made me sit thru Dark Water and then teased me about screaming in the cinema – very uncool!

Other highlights over the years have included the Herzog mini festival, seeing David Cronenberg’s Existenz at the midnight screening, discovering the animation of Bill Plimpton, and catching up with friends in the queue to see Godzilla (V – we should really catch up again soon!)

They’re all a bit of a blur to me now. But there is nothing better than Melbourne at Festival time. People clap at the end of films. Everyone is cheery, even in those freaking long queues. The festival club at the forum is beautiful and all the films – good bad and ugly take me out of my world and into another. Magical.

I admit funds do not permit me to take the long trip this year- it’s just the minipass for me this time round (as apposed to the 43 films I did last year – I felt like I’d run a marathon by the end of it). But I do have some pointers for the Festival newbies…

Don’t forget to factor in meal breaks. I walked out of a Ewan McGregor film because I knew I had to get lunch before the next three sessions -insane.

Bring your own water. Jackie and I paid 4 dollars for tiny bottles of Evian after our Lola sprint. Ridiculous.

Go it alone. I have to admit that standing in queues full of happy young couples isn’t so great so I do avoid flying solo in the evening sessions but during the day there is nothing better than some obscure documentary and a cup of coffee (or in M’s case a beer – not Coopers mind you – Stella!). There are lots of other solo flyers then too. If I was brave enough I would have asked that lovely man in the green jumper whom I saw at every day session on his own to accompany me to an evening screening but alas I have no courage dear readers and the moment passed.

See things you wouldn’t normally see. I started out just seeing indie American films and animation. Now I try to see as wide a variety as possible – often just picking things because they are on at a good time. Last year I discovered how amazing a weekend can be when my friend Beck and I just went to back to back documentaries. Brilliant.

that being said if you are like me and you can’t wait for things to be released by all means go to them. I loved seeing Metallica: Some Kind of Monster and American Psycho with festival crowds – it was a real event.

Don’t limit yourself to a country/region/style. If G and M had their way we would all only watch violent, scary, insane films. Don’t let you festival buddies dictate everything you see. Better still have several festival buddies so you can get enough variety in there.

Do not assume tickets won’t sell out. They do. I’ve already missed one film this year because I am so freaking disorganized.

Remember there is always next year. Don’t panic if you haven’t gone to anything. It’ll be there for you every year. Like the perfect holiday destination it is…



2 Comments:

At 15/8/06, Blogger Beck said...

pleeeeaaaaase another entry... we are dying out here.

 
At 10/2/08, Blogger OhNoNotAgain said...

don't comment, just come to San Diego

Daniel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home