Wednesday, February 15, 2006

bad boys bad boys watcha gonna do...





You know what I am really sick of? New TV series that everyone is raving about that I JUST DO NOT GET! I was all ready to love Lost, Desperate Housewives, I was even prepared to give House a go. I was especially looking forward to Prison Break. And now, by episode three I am already reading the spoilers on the net so I can watch Dateline in peace.

There is no denying it. Young man Wentworth Miller (that's his name? You have to be kidding me) who plays the too-clever-by half Michael Schofield in PB is very very easy on the eyes. Take a look at him, really. Like a t-bone steak or a well made baseball bat.

All the elements are there, yum and dumb leading man, great tattoo, convoluted escape plan, sassy lawyer, psycho inmates, cruel guards, hot brother on death row for another three weeks... Three weeks? I hear the writer has 44 episodes planned so far. This is going to be like watch paint dry.

There once was a time I could kick back with Ally McBeal, The Practice, E.R, Dawsons Creek, Party of Five, even the x-files (ah Mulder we miss you!) and be very happy thankyou very much (knowing full well it was pap - fast moving, pretty, entertaining pap).

I just don't have the attention span to deal with this new batch of sludge. I have worked out that if you watch Lost once every three months NOTHING has happened, you haven't MISSED anything. Desperate Housewives (so much promise, so little love) just creeps me out - their faces don't move properly so I suspect there is an onset minion injecting botox into Terri Hatcher at every spare moment. Am I the only one that thinks she looks like the Joker in Batman?

House is just dumb (not as dumb as Monk, but close).

I think something weird has happened to me. In the past 3 years I've had The West Wing, 100 Centre Street, Queer as Folk, Six Feet Under, Dead Like Me, Oz (now there is a prison series), Curb Your Enthusiasm, Little Britain, Spooks, League of Gentlemen, Love My Way, Arrested Development... There is a long long list of exciting couch viewing.

I've been ruined by quality television. My ability to enjoy crap has been greatly diminished, to the point where I will no longer tolerate crap acting, hack writing and 6 minute ad breaks every 7 minutes. Is it time for me to hang up my remote and just walk away? Say it isn't so!

Doesn't Commander in Chief start next week...?

1 Comments:

At 16/2/06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the fact that 'Reality' television commands such a slobbering slab of the viewing audience worldwide means that producers of 'drama' feel that they can get away with anything, no matter how inane, simplistic, formulaic, or ill-thought-through. The days of Dale Cooper and Frank Black are over!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home