Saturday, February 11, 2006

Gold Gold Gold for Australia...I mean Norway




I have a confession to make. Like all great couch potatoes I love watching sport on television. And I'm fairly indiscriminate about what I am prepared to watch. I've just recovered from the Australian Open, eagerly awaiting the start to footy season, and contemplating foxtels tempting offer of 7 new channels just for the Commonwealth Games - which I might add are on here in Melbourne so if I got off the couch I could go see some of it.

Could I be lazier? In fact my new years resolution was to actually leave the house and see some sport this year. I know the smart thing to do is to actually play sport but I can't catch a ball to save my life.

I can manage to walk, swim, occasionally hit a tennis ball. God knows I'll give you a run for you money on F1 Grand Prix (playstation of course! One sad year I stayed awake for every Grand Prix and tried to master each circuit on the ps2 before watching the race - no wonder I'm single).

I'm completely left handed - so much so that if you need a right arm I've got one just doing nothing right now. So I remain an armchair enthusiast. Complete with a long list of favorite sports films and an opinion on anything from afl to diving to baseball to tennis, even to downhill skiing.

Which brings me to tonights juicy treat. The Opening Ceremony of the 2006 Winter Olympics from Torino Italy (cheer!)

This sunburnt country of ours has managed a team of 40 - 29 of whom are competing in the Olympics for the first time. Our best hopes are Lydia Ierodiaconou in aerials, and Torah Bright in snowboard halfpipe. Good luck goes out to our youngest member 19 year old snowboarder Mitchell Allen. Alisa Camplin returns with sugar free brilliance to defend her title as queen on the freestyle aerials. Good luck to them all!

TOP 5 sports movies

5. Murderball
4. Hoop Dreams
3. Chariots of Fire
2. On Any Given Sunday
1. Rocky (of course!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home