Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Globe trotting




I have just finished watching the amazing series Long Way Round. Charley Boorman and Ewan McGregor rode their motorbikes around the world with a cameraman in tow. 20,000 kms. It was just extraordinary. I know it sounds naive of me to say but I don't think I understand just how big the planet is. Watching them go round it slowly, I was struck by the scale. And I wondered why people wanted to travel to outer space when outer mongolia is just so amazing.

The viewing of this series has coincided with me toying with the idea of going to New York. I sat in the travel agency last week and I was transfixed by the wall of brochures.

So many places.

But I've never considered Russia, Kazikstan, Syberia as travel destinations. I'm 'strictly pavement' as Woody Allen would say.
But Long Way Round at least gave me a glimpse from the couch of what these places look like and it's great to have them rattling round in my head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home