Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The most beautiful ad on television




As much as I like it I have never known too much about music. I have always surrounded myself with people who seem to be passionate about it and I tend to just absorb what they expose me to (yes Beck I will listen to that Mary J Blige cd tomorrow I promise). The cds in my collection could all be categorised by people I've known (hey David I still have all your Tom Waits and Elvis Costello cds).

My boss Abi has amazing taste in music and this year has given me Coco Rosie and Anthony and the Johnsons. My daughter Hope (age 11) has become obsessed with the White Stripes and I in turn can't stop singing Little Ghost.

If I do buy music myself it is nearly always movie soundtracks which may then lead to me discovering something else. But recently it has been advertising - so often the evil hijacker of good (and bad) music that has caught my attention.

I have been totally seduced by the Sony ad for their new monster TV. It shows thousands of coloured superballs bouncing down the streets of San Francisco. The music is by someone called Jose Gonzalez from his debut album 'veneer'. I know this because at work the other day I picked out his cd at random and put it on.

And there it was. The soundtrack to the most beautiful ad on television.

Look I know it's for Sony and Im sure they are evil but this ad is like a perfect poem. And you know what?

I really like the music

3 Comments:

At 9/2/06, Blogger Glenn Peters said...

I helped doing sound for Jose Gonzalez when he played at Readings earlier in the year.

The man's got the biggest nose I've ever seen.

 
At 11/2/06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, I love that ad. I downloaded the song after hunting for it on google 'Heartbeats' - I then deleted it later because the RIAA are watching *shifty eyes* - ciao - Jason, Sydney

 
At 21/2/06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The 'Knifes' version of 'heartbeats' from their deep cuts album is just as lovely dont u think..albeit 4 a different time/place/mood.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home