Thursday, April 06, 2006

Chairman of The Bored


I'm having one of those evenings. I've had so little sleep this week , I'm restless, I'm bored. I'm not happy with tonights viewing opportunities (57 channels and there's nothing on).

The best thing on offer is Medium - which is so ridiculously far fetched - that handsome, intelligent, sensitive husband is a figment of her (and the female scriptwriters) imagination. And a repeat of my beloved West Wing - of which I own the box sets and have watched a dozen times each.

And so I go to The Collection.

I've got 342 (and growing) DVD's that cover pretty much every genre - in fact one day I plan to organise them that way - so whatever I'm in the mood for it has to be there.

Right?

Wrong.

In terms of TV series there are definite gaps on the shelf

No Twin Peaks (videos only - no longer prepared to watch vhs. But how can I live without it?)
No X Files (I can't tell you why I haven't bought this. I don't want to admit to myself that I am inches away from attending a science fiction convention, or that I still dream about Mulder)
No Six Feet Under (why oh why? Season One was so so breathtaking)
No Buffy, no Moonlighting, no Northern Exposure (I lent that to someone...You know who you are)
No Tales of the City (ah Laura Linney, you're a treasure)

No Seinfeld, no Frasier, no League of Gentlemen, no Fawlty Towers, no King of the Hill, no Aeon Flux, no South Park (I know! I can't believe that either!)

And no News Radio (actually truth be told all I want to watch right now is News Radio)

As for films I'm in the mood for and do not have

Do The Right Thing (because I'm going to see Inside Man tomorrow and want to remind myself what is good about Spike Lee).

Near Dark (the greatest vampire movie ever made, I was sure I had this, but no no no)

Flying High (piss funny genius)

Stripes (see above)

Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure (where is my video card anyway...)

While searching for that one perfect DVD that will make my night complete I came across 12 films that still have the plastic wrap on them, that haven't even been cracked open -

State and Main, The Mosquito Coast, All That Jazz, Dead Ringers, Poltergiest, Old School, High Tide, The Comfort of Strangers, Catch 22, Edward Scissorhands, Shawn of the Dead, Diner.

nup. no good.

The shortlist for tonight is now

American Beauty (just for that one scene - do you know the one I'm thinking of?)


Gosford Park (Because I'm seeing Clive Owen tomorrow)


The Royal Tenenbaums (when in doubt go to your top ten that's what I say)


Down By Law (because I didn't know I had this, and it's so so very good)



You know what. The West Wing will be on in 30 minutes. I give up.

I need to get a life, or a date, or a book, or sleep. Perhaps not in that order.

7 Comments:

At 6/4/06, Blogger Ramona said...

As it turned out it was one of the lovliest West Wing episodes. Where we begin our farewell to Sam, get the best of Amy, Josh, Cj, Andy and Toby. And Donna finds Christian Slater in a pool of light, which really is enough to make any gal happy...

 
At 7/4/06, Blogger Glenn Peters said...

Near Dark. Mass killing scene in far west bar to The Cramps' incredible version of Fever.

Brilliant.

 
At 7/4/06, Blogger Beck said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7/4/06, Blogger Beck said...

I am a big lover of the vampire genre, I know they almost always suck (ha ha) but when you crack a goodie it's worth all the crappy choc-top and popcorn deal meals you've had to sit through to get there. Near Dark is second only to the delights offered by seeing Clooney alongside Tarantino in my top fang flick... anyway I digress... Near Dark is killer because apart from the brilliant massacre scene mentioned above by Glenn and the dirty, black plastic covered nastiness of it all, they cast the best of the ensemble from Aliens and transposed them into a vampire western where they were the aliens...now that's genius!

 
At 7/4/06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

uu have weird taste in movies. I hate all of the ones you listed the westwing is boring.But yr blog is good. keep writing them.

 
At 7/4/06, Blogger Ramona said...

Dear Anonymous, your comment is most welcome as I get to use the word Dunderhead when referring to it in conversation, which surprisingly wouldn't be the first time this week. It's an excellent word and comes highly recommended.
I'd love to know what's on your list of favorites...films I mean, not words. Mind you a list of your favorite words might be interesting too!

 
At 13/4/06, Blogger Fish said...

No, you need 148 consecutive days in, and to have all of your meals and drinks delivered to the you at the couch....you can excercise in your sleep.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home