Sunday, March 26, 2006

Hes like so cool you know?



When you fall in love with someone you do so whole heartedly – all their quirks, mannerisms, the way they speak. And then one day you wake up and everything’s different. All the things you loved about that person suddenly make you want to slap them in the face before walking away (in slow motion of course).

That’s how I feel about Nicholas Cage.

I've been inundated with good reviews for his new film The Weatherman which I had decided long ago not to see. Why would I? I can’t suffer through another ego driven nutty performance by Mr. Cage.

It just isn’t worth it anymore.

And then this week something happened. Like discovering an old high school yearbook I stumbled on a rare screening of classic eighties romantic teen film ‘Valley Girl’ (1983). And there was a very young Nicolas in all his splendor. A wonderful new wave haircut, a dopey lovesick look in his eye and that very particular way he dips his language up and down. And I remembered something I had long since forgotten:

I love Nicholas Cage.

I know what you’re thinking. What about Con Air, The Rock, Gone in Sixty Seconds? These are all bad (but fun!) movies where he is the very worst thing in them. What about Face Off, National Treasure, City of Angels? Yes these are all truly awful and yes a big part is Mr. Cages fault. If he’s not directed properly his performances can become so forced it can set your teeth on edge. He seems to be screaming ‘Look at Me’ with every twitch and snap of his fingers.

But when he is good, man he is really good. Try and put those others aside for a moment and remember

Moonstruck (for the romantics and opera fans)

Raising Arizona (for the parents and Coen Bros Fans)

Birdy (delicate, heartbreaking, Alan Parkers second best film after Fame)

Vampires Kiss (because it’s sexy and funny and joyous)

Wild at Heart (it's David Lynch, so I'll defend it to my death)

Matchstick Men (If anyone can play obsessive compulsive it's Cage)

Adaptation (no better portrayal of writers block ever)

Bringing Out The Dead (underrated Scorsese, hang on isn't everythings Scorsese's done underrated?)

And if none of those get you… and let’s face it you may need more convincing after Captain Corellis Mandolin, I want you all to trek down to your Blockbusters and rent Leaving Las Vegas. Maybe you’ll too learn to love what has almost become unlovable in his finest performace to date as the alcoholic screenwriter who decides to literally drink himself to death.
See he is good isn't he? You'd forgotten because the foul stench of Snake Eyes, The Family Man and Windtalkers still hang in the air.

But I find myself after an afternoon in the Valley remembering the good times. I won't be running out to see National Treasure 2, but the Weatherman may be vintage Cage, and therefore well worth it.

PS I haven’t mention Rumblefish. It’s too important too me, I’m saving it for a while.

8 Comments:

At 26/3/06, Blogger Beck said...

You know week after week you hit me with my favourite movies of the past... I grew up with red hair, which in Australia in the early 80's was tantamount to a having a third head so when Valley Girl came along with it's brooding new wave bad boy falling in love with perky red headed girl I grabbed it with both lace fingerless gloved hands.
For mine it set the benchmark of teen films with all the neccessary ingredients, great soundtrack, great outfits, love across the tracks, hot moms and pool boys, pyjama parties and prom dancing.

By the way there is nothing, I repeat nothing, wrong with Conair... Cusak, Cage, Malkovich and Buscemi in that lovely pool party scene...what's not to love there?

 
At 26/3/06, Blogger Ramona said...

The thing about Valley Girl, which I think (and pardon if I sound like a cranky old woman) is lacking in the teen films of today is that it is encredibly romantic.
He is a totally smokin dude whose perpared to do anything for the girl of his dreams.

As for Con Air - look all the engredients are right but I'm afraid that cake just didn't rise for me. Mind you I would walk across hot coals for John Cusack (like any woman over 30). But Nicolas Cages hair is possibly the worst ever - only rivalling Kevin Costners in Waterworld.

 
At 27/3/06, Blogger Beck said...

and that's just one of the many reasons why i love it...
mind you I beg to differ re: bad hair on film, although my pick is still Costner related...
Tom Petty's lank mop in The Postman is the worst hair on film.
Still I wont hear a bad word about the Petty although it saddens me to admit he increasingly looks like a walking corpse...

 
At 27/3/06, Blogger Ramona said...

Costner is such an easy target- he's another one that can pull a good one out of the bag if he tries hard enough - anyone that saw the Upside of Anger can attest to that. but boy has he had some stinkers. As for Petty - well yeah he does get top billing for bad hair in The Postman - all that moisture ruined him!

 
At 27/3/06, Blogger Glenn Peters said...

I love the club they go to in Valley Girl.

Anywhere The Plimsouls play every fricken night and where it's perfectly cool to pour yer own dregs over your own head for the sake of it has to be the best club in the world.

Get me best mate, Jeff drunk enough and he'll confess Valley Girl's his favorite movie ever.

The Plimsouls.

Tom Petty.

Ahmageelordy, powerpop heaven.

Best nightspots in film? I'll rank them.

3. The club in Purple Rain where, depending on club politics you're treated to sounds by Prince, Apollina Kotero (sic) or The Time.

2. Valley Girl club.

1. The opium den frequented by De Niro in Once Upon A Time In America

Spec mention to the clubs in Carlitto's Way, The Big Cube and Blow Up.

 
At 27/3/06, Blogger Glenn Peters said...

And I loved Cage's character in Red Rock West. Is it only me who really dug that film?

 
At 27/3/06, Blogger Ramona said...

You know I cannot believe I missed mentioning Red Rock West - shows you how bleary eyed I can get trawling through IMDB! That was back in the day Lara Flynn Boyle had potential wasn't it?
I saw this when it was released and never again. Nothing much came of the director John Dahl - he went on to do that other cheesy guilty pleasure The Last Seduction which seemed to put the noir nail in his coffin...

 
At 12/4/06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite Nicholas Cage moment would have to be one of the first scenes we meet him in Moonstruck working downstairs with his wooden hand and wife beater singlet where he yells "Bring me the Big Knife Chrissy!" Classic quotable work 4 decades of use..(well between my sista and me anyway)Timmy Timmikins x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home