Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Blow the Whistle


Last night I watched the classic whistleblower film Silkwood (1984). I’d listened intently a week ago to a discussion on Radio National about the nature of whistle blowing and I wondered what I would do if faced with a similar situation.

I had only seen Silkwood the one time on video when I was a young teenager and it deeply affected me then. I’m not sure why I’ve only seen it the once but it seemed appropriate to revisit it this week given that the Federal Government is toying with the idea of selling uranium to China and I had listened to the radio piece just days before.

The film documents the events leading up to the death of Karen Silkwood (Meryl Streep) a young employee of a nuclear facility who was purposefully contaminated and possibly murdered after attempting to expose appalling safety violations.

Streep won best actress as did Cher for her supporting turn as Karen’s sympathetic housemate. Mike Nichols also won for best director and Nora Ephron for best screenplay.

It’s a sad and quiet film; resolute in its depiction of Karen’s pathetic life (a young Kurt Russell is divine as her woebegone boyfriend Drew). It’s only towards the end, when Karen makes the decision that she has no choice but to expose the truth that she realizes that this is what will define her life. She repeats a line used earlier by a Washington union official “there is a moral imperative”.

We all like to think we would do the right thing, but what is the right thing? Can we ever really be sure that the risk is worth taking? I think what is so fascinating about these stories is that in nearly all cases these are very ordinary people who go to extraordinary lengths to expose something they know is wrong often with devestating consequences.

I don’t know what I would do, do you?

Top Five Whistleblower Movies

China Syndrome
The Boiler Room
Silkwood
The Insider
Erin Brockovich

On a lighter note James Rebhorn appears in Silkwood for five minutes at the end…

5 Comments:

At 21/3/06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

silkwood is a great movie, thanx for reminding me of it. I don't know when you get the time to watch all this stuff! Chris

 
At 21/3/06, Blogger Ramona said...

I don't sleep. Last year I was getting up to prepare work for a show at 5am every morning and would often watch a movie while I worked before breakfast...hardcore even for me!

 
At 23/3/06, Blogger Glenn Peters said...

As you can gather from the times under my posts on my blog thingies,Î'm not much of a sleeper either. Which is good really cos the ABC have played some brillo movies in their late slot in the past year.

Oh yeah, I came to comment to say I was really turned on by The Whistle Blower with Michael Caine in my early teens.

I've been a whistle blower type-a-guy in all my jobs ever since and it's got me nowhere. At least I can sleep at night.

Well, I can't even do that.

 
At 23/3/06, Blogger Ramona said...

Of course in Australia it would be harder perhaps with our anti-dobber culture. No one likes a trouble maker - especially management. But I think if you are one you were born that way - genetically predisposed with a sense of justice. No wonder you love the Mary L Parker character in the WW so much!

You know I haven't seen The Whistleblower and I really should, because Mr Caine is the bees knees.

I forgot Norma Rae too...

As for the not sleeping, I have no advice my friend. Some brains just can't stop whirring...

 
At 23/3/06, Blogger Beck said...

you know silkwood is one of my favourites, the book is also treat and can usually be found in the 50 cent bin at your local oppy - well worth your coinage.
thank you for the pic as i reckon the streep whistle-blower haircut trounces the oft mentioned killer haircut jane fonda sports in Klute.
with regards to you two loons not being able to sleep i have one word
HORLICKS.
that being said the purple high-heeled one (and the only royalty worth a raspberry beret) only sleeps 4 hours a night...so your'e both up there with the giants (figuratively speaking)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home