Monday, October 23, 2006

Boston Boys


First of all, stop reading this review. not because of spoilers – there aren’t any, and not because I’m going to bag the film – I’m not. Simply because The Departed is something you have to see because it is the new Scorsese film and you have to make up your own mind about it.

I’m not going to tell you the plot or complain about the length (too long, ended suddenly, left questions unanswered) I’m not even going to blather on about the misuse of music in some scenes (one was so jarring we thought the music was coming from another theatre).

I am however going to go on and on about the performances.

Those who know me know I am a huge fan of ensemble pictures and my favorite of that genre is the ‘man’ picture. Guys doing Guy things – in this case killing each other and using their mobile phones A LOT. In fact this film has the very best use of mobile phones to date. A particular scene where the two central characters listen to each other breath on the other end of the phone is just terrific. The sound of them beeping, vibrating, opening and closing, ring tones, texting are all crucial in turning the plot inside and out.

The Father Figures First

Fist up Jack Nicholson is great. I mean I know that is obvious because he’s always great but in this he winds back that insane Jack and brings out the good stuff. He is commanding, scene stealing and a very very bad man in this picture. Not quite as charismatic enough but still great.

Ray Winstone as Jacks right hand is underused here. I wasn’t even aware that he was in it and I wanted more – but quite frankly there just wasn’t any room. The departed is crowded with kick arse guys that can act the pants of most people and it was fun to watch them ‘out act’ each other.

Alec Baldwin. He gets hotter the older and fatter he gets. I love the way he now has his enormous ego in check enough to take on these smaller roles. He's like a bear now. Fantastic.

Martin Sheen is the only truly good guy in the film and his scenes with Di Caprio are touching without being saccharine. It’s hard not to see him as president Bartlett but I like not having him be such a central figure. he’s a short man too and the young strapping lads just tower above him which always makes me think of Yoda…that’s just me I’m sure

ok now to the Sons

Matt Damon. You know I’m right on board the Damon train now. After Syriana and The Bourne Identity I now think he’s just fine despite that unfortunate nose. His character is as corrupt as they come but still manages to make the rat in the ranks sympathetic…well kinda. You get the feeling that he wants to get out (there is vague talk of moving to another city, starting fresh) but he is so ego driven and the Irish chip on his shoulder just can’t allow him to walk the path of the righteous man.

and now to Leo. I have never never never liked Leonardo Di Caprio. I hated Titanic, I hated the Beach, I hated The Aviator (but recognized its epic quality). But I had trouble hating him. Because I understood why the girls swooned when he looked through the fish tank in Romeo and Juliet. I wept at his rawness in the Basketball Diaries and The Quick and The Dead is one of my top 20. So…

Leonardo is AMAZING in this film. He’s allowed himself time to get older, to thicken up, to bring out that great melancholy he is so good at (see Marvin’s Room). And those eyes aren’t quite as distracting now. It’s exciting to see him grow up. Give him another ten years and he’ll have us all in his top pocket.

Mark Wahlberg. You know even sporting a very dodgy haircut (standard issue Boston cop flop cut) he is still super cool. He gets to swear a lot, be generally offensive but still come across as one of the really good guys. in fact he’s disgust at the idea of police corruption is almost palpable. He bounces off Martin Sheen so well you can see they had a lot of fun together. More please. Cant wait for Invincible to come out next month…

There are a lot of things wrong with the film but you know what? so what! You get to spend 15 dollars and watch a dream cast do their jobs really really well. The first hour of the film is full of great dialogue and a swooning swing camera that is as good as any vintage Scorcese.Those of you that loved Infernal Affairs will have their quibbles I think but hey you people are purists and so hard to please anyway. It's a very different film. Scorcese is much more interested in the psychological angles - it's not just a mouse in a maze film. Dicaprio and Damon are not at the top of their form yet, but how exciting to watch them head to the top of the mountain.

rockin.

2 Comments:

At 6/4/07, Blogger Bobby La said...

Well... Hmm, I thought the story vanished in a pile of gratuitous blokeyness and why the hell couldn't Leonardo get the girl? You just tell me that. I truly ruly thought the final shoot-em-up was put in just because it wasn't expected and for the shock of it all without convincing me of its need, or something like that. Leonardo is brilliant!!! My grandson looks like him too and that's the truth. Matt Damon's a groovy kind of guy and I'm aleays prepared to loke him but I wasn't as convinced in his relationship nor his unwavering loyalty to Jack Nicholson's character, even when it beca,e obvious that Jack was douple dealing. And why wasn't the phone turned onto vibrate and went off at an awfully crucial moment. Dumb stuff like that makes me put the kettle on! Jack's 'Shining' face was good. He was doing himself but it fit and his scary face was as scary as hell.
We went on to watch 'The Acid House' and that was good.In case you wanted to know my opinion!!

 
At 7/1/08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the ending miffed me too, it seems like nothing decent happened to any of the decent people

 

Post a Comment

<< Home