Thursday, November 30, 2006

Nothing but Trouble and Desire


On November 10 actress Adrienne Shelley age 40 was found hanging in her bathroom in what at first appeared to be suicide. A fine actress who was best known as Hal Hartleys leading lady in Trust and The Unbelievable Truth she was also a celebrated filmmaker in her own life. she was a wife and mother and was adored by many Hartley fans who were heartbroken to hear of her passing, myself included. The story grew increasingly more gruesome as it was later discovered that Adrienne had in fact been murdered by a young workman from the floor below. She had complained about the noise, she had threatened to reveal he was an illegal immigrant. He freaked out and killed her. Just another New York Story I guess.

Trust by Hal Hartley:

Maria (Adrienne Shelley): Did you mean it? Would you marry me?
Matthew (Martin Donovan): Yes.
Maria: Why?
Matthew: Because I want to.
Maria: Not because you love me or anything like that, huh?
Matthew: I respect and admire you.
Maria: Isn't that love?
Matthew: No, that's respect and admiration. I think that's better than love.
Maria: How?
Matthew: When people are in love they do all sorts of crazy things. They get jealous, they lie, they cheat. They kill themselves. They kill each other.
Maria: It doesn't have to be that way.
Matthew: Maybe.
Maria: You'd be the father of a child you know isn't yours.
Matthew: Kids are kids, what does it matter?
Maria: Do you trust me?
Matthew: Do you trust me first?
Maria: I trust you.
Matthew: You sure?
Maria: Yes.
Matthew: Then marry me.
Maria: I'll marry you if you admit that respect, admiration, and trust equals love.
Matthew: OK. They equal love.

1 Comments:

At 15/4/07, Blogger Anna Davern said...

Hey Ramona,
Are you gonna come back here some day?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home